The Madison County School System is committed to ensuring accessibility of its district and school websites for all students, parents, and members of the community, including those with disabilities and users of assistive technology. The Madison County School System continues to review and update its website to ensure compliance with current and future standards.
The Madison County Schools website is required to be in compliance with Section 504 and Section 508 and Title II of the Rehabilitation Act. Section 504 requires equal access and communication of electronic information and data so that it is accessible to people with disabilities.
MCSS uses the Blackboard Web Community Manager to ensure that all website content or functionality on the District's websites will conform to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines ("WCAG") 2.0, Level AA standards. This site has been built using code compliant with WCAG 2.0 Level AA standards for HTML and CSS. The site displays correctly in current browsers and using standards compliant HTML/CSS code means any future browsers will also display it correctly.
The Blackboard Web Community Manager platform approaches accessibility in the following ways:
- Template-based pages and apps provide consistent interactions and user experience across pages.
- It allows clients to configure their templates while still remaining within the color contrast ratio.
- Provides full support for keyboard navigation.
- Text can be resized 200 percent without loss of content or functionality.
- Contains page titles with the name of the workspace within which the user is working.
The District’s website includes a variety of accessibility features including:
- Google Language Translation tool on every MCSS webpage. This tool is located in the top left-hand corner of every webpage.
- Alternate text- text-based descriptions for images/graphics- unless they are decorative in nature.
- Closed captioning for video content through YouTube.
- Logical tabbing sequence for keyboard-driven navigation.
- High color contrast option- button to access this feature is at the top of every MCSS website.
If you would like additional assistance or are unable to access content on the District’s website, please complete our online Website Feedback form. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. Please include your full name, description of the problem encountered, the web address of the material you tried to access, and contact information in case more details are needed (email and phone number).
Helpful Accessibility Tools
Browsers and plugins for accessibility
Text to screen readers
Using accessibility tools on mobile
If you have difficulty communicating with us because you do not speak English please contact us at email@example.com.
Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities can call the Alabama Relay Service at:
- 800.548.2546 (TTY) for assistance contacting Madison County Schools at 256.852.2557
Free language assistance or other aids and services are available upon request. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org